serendipity: paintings by GOMACG
2 Feb-11 March 2018
GOMACG’s inspiration comes from exploring and observing the urban picturesque of London. He’s interested in the vernacular of buildings, walls, pavements, shop-signs and street-signs. The ephemeral layered textures and colours of their worn surfaces. The walls covered with vivid street art portraiture amongst the transitory graphics of stickers, adverts, posters and graffiti. The ever changing collation of arbitrary images and texts creates unique collages - as varied as they are impermanent – as mutable as memories.
His paintings aim to capture the strong visual resonance that a fleeting moment invokes. The narrative of the moment – in the painting - is unique in creation and combination, taken from sketchbook artwork, photographs and research. The composition creates juxtaposed images and words that, like the facets of a memory, emerge decisively, partially or obliquely. The montage of real and imagined images becomes in part abstracted and obscured through the layering of paint. The paintings’ visual narrative remains fluid, intuitively adaptable throughout which reflects the transience of imagery. It conjures up serendipity - the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.
The practical creation of a painting is also in flux throughout. Suggestive of the subject matter GOMACG uses mixed-media: acrylic, gloss and spray paint, ink, pens, pencils, and collaged paper on canvas or board. The initial clarity of words and images become partially ambiguous amongst the layers of paint and collage. This process mimics the visceral erasing of overlaid imagery and text by tearing, cutting and scratching. He aims to create a narrative of visual fragments that even as they appear they are signifying their own impermanence. To suggest that even as memories are captured they are simultaneously eroding.
GOMACG trained at Glasgow School of Art and Camberwell; he's illustrated for The Guardian, NME and Time Out and was a recent hit on the E17 Art Trail.
Click here for GOMACG's website gomacg.com
GOMACG on Instagram & Facebook
1. Muerte! - Acrylic & mixed media on canvas 91x152cm £1400
2. Easy 8 - Archival giclée print on German archival paper 55x70cm Limited edition of 12 £140
3. Nailmouth says Thank You - Acrylic & mixed media on canvas 62x80cm £1000 (and archival giclée prints on German archival paper 55x70cm Limited edition of 12 £140)
4. London A Fuckin Mystery Circus - Acrylic on canvas 42x60cm £600
5. A Date Night with Elvis - Acrylic & mixed media on canvas 46x61cm £600
6. Bohemia - Vagabond A Bohemian Fairy Tale - Acrylic and mm on canvas 42x60 £600
7. Carole Lombard - Sure Shot Screwball Angel - Acrylic & mixed media on canvas 70x100cm £1200
8. 1 X PRINT SOLD Nichelle Nichols - Venus Power 77 - Acrylic & mixed media on canvas 70x100cm £1200
9. SOLD Veronica Lake - Smoke Party Dynamite - Acrylic & mixed media on canvas 70x100cm £1200
10. 1 X PRINT SOLD Nancy Sinatra Phaedra 4567 Reprise - Acrylic & mixed media on canvas 70x100cm £1200
11. Lucy - Bar Confectioner Especial - Te Amo - Acrylic & mixed media on canvas 70x100cm £1200
12. NO EXIT - Acrylic on canvas 42x60cm £600
13. Smirkin’ Merkin The House and Playground Dog - Acrylic on canvas 42x60cm £600
14. L O V E17 - Archival giclee A2 print 42x60cm £100 (or acrylic on canvas 42x60cm £600)
15. VILLAGE IDIOT - Acrylic on canvas 42x60cm £600
16. BLUE BEAR ON A BIKE - Archival giclee A2 print 42x60cm £100 (or acrylic on canvas 42x60cm £600)
17. Devil’s Brew - Acrylic on canvas. 42 x 60cm. £600
18. The Art Mistress - Acrylic on canvas. 42 x 60cm £600
19. Explosive Side - Acrylic & mixed media on canvas 42x60cm £600
20. Soft Love - Acrylic & mixed media on wooden board 47x65cm £600
21. Hope Chapel - Acrylic & mixed media on wooden Board 47x65cm £600
22. Speed - Acrylic & mixed media on canvas 92x122cm £1400
23. Saint Evil Brothers - Acrylic & mixed media on canvas 91x152cm £1400