This is an OPEN CALL for submissions for the Walthamstow Village Window Gallery's summer show taking place 7 July-3 Sept 2017
White walls will be the new grey at WVWG this summer and there'll be no theme, so we're open to any style, media or subject. Just be yourself!
There'll be NO COMMISSION on sales, just a one-off non-refundable fee of £20 per selected artist (towards the 8 weeks of gallery exposure, admin/hanging time, name-check on the website and in a press release etc). BUT the main criteria we're setting this time are:
- the work should have an irresistible price tag of no more than £200
- maximum framed size of about 50cm in either direction
Please bombard us with your best prints, paintings, illustrations, posters, photographs, collages and 3D artworks, as many or as few pieces as you like, for this two month long show in this prime, high footfall location on Walthamstow village's Orford Road with its popular pubs, shops and eateries.
- Please email email@example.com attaching clear, good quality jpgs of the work(s)/items(s) you'd like to submit - ideally with your name and a title included in the image filename and an indication of approx framed size eg pablo-picasso_untitled_20x20cm.jpg (we'll confirm sizes later for selected pieces)
- In the body of the email please list the works with description of media/print editions and prices
- reproduction prints of original paintings are discouraged
- PLEASE NOTE much of the gallery receives some direct late afternoon sun (weather-permitting!) so particularly light-sensitive works/papers will be displayed at your own risk (a fresh print could be supplied to any buyers if you prefer)
- Deadline for submissions is Monday 19 June 2017
- If your work is selected, shortlisted artists will be notified with instructions on How To Pay Your £20 fee. If you're happy to continue, work will need to be handed-in/delivered (ready to hang) around the weekend of 1/2 JULY and then be available for the duration of the two month exhibition until SUNDAY 3 SEPTEMBER
- Please arrange your own insurance for the full duration
- All work should be well-protected for delivery, and signed/labelled all ready for a potential purchaser to take home at the end of the show
- We'll make every effort to include all delivered work in the final hang (eg it's much bigger than indicated) In this unlikely event your hanging fee will be returned
- A preview evening will take place on Friday 7 July from 7-9pm
- Sales made online by Paypal or in person by iZettle debit/credit card reader will incur a small fee of approx 3%, that will be deducted from your sale. No fees will be deducted from cash sales.
- Unsold work should be collected by you or a representative by FRIDAY 8 SEPT 2017 or by arrangement (or by all means make postal arrangements for its safe return)
Any queries, don't hesitate to email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please forward this email to other potentially interested artists too.
We're really looking forward to receiving all your submissions!
Thanks very much,
WVWG is not currently accepting new proposals but please add email@example.com to your artist mailing lists
If Google's to be believed our 24 hour exhibition space has almost always someone in the vicinity!
HOW BEST TO GET IN TOUCH
Please get in touch initially by email only with all the information required in the checklist below. Sell yourself to us!
- tell us about the artist(s) as a person, what inspires them to create the work they do
- description of the idea or artwork with approx sizes of artworks (and prices if applicable)
- a CV with education, previous exhibitions, art fairs, sales history or press coverage (if any)
- weblinks and social media accounts we may want to follow
- good quality, representative images (as jpgs) of artwork(s) themselves, and ideally in situ too
- your availability or any preference for time of year
Danny will be available to hang or assist on the hang; the gallery will supply caption/CV/biog cards; list your show on press websites, design*** and fund an advert in Waltham Forest's popular monthly arts and culture magazine The E List; provide an internet presence on the gallery website and on social media; manage preview evenings* and field artwork enquiries and sales; and any handle purchase payments.
We have only occasional meetings to discuss future proposals, and as we receive so many emails we can't always feed back or enter into correspondence but we do look forward to hearing from you, and who knows, offer you your very own exhibition!
Danny and the WVWG team
* usually on the first Friday of the month. A cash contribution by the artist(s) towards refreshment costs is appreciated.
** after any credit/debit card handling fees approx 3-4%
*** other design and print production services are available for flyers, posters and postcards at competitive rates - using gallery brand guidelines. For consistency we can't accept self-designed marketing materials