This is an OPEN CALL for wonderfully word-based submissions for Walthamstow Village Window Gallery's selling show in the run up to Christmas, taking place over 4 weekends from mid-November.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE EXTENDED
to end of Thursday 2 November
We're looking to fill the windows with words; slickly typeset or hand-rendered; slogans, signs, quotes, posters and protestations, warnings, words of wisdom, whole alphabets, symbols or a single beautiful letterform.
Please bombard us with your best prints, paintings, illustrations, posters, signs, photographs, collages, 3D artworks, anything goes!
Please forward this to other potentially interested artists and designers too. We're really looking forward to receiving all your submissions!
Danny Coope, Creative Director
ABOUT THE GALLERY:
It's a 10m long shop window, lit until midnight, in a prime, high-footfall location in the buzzing heart of Walthamstow village with popular pubs, shops and eateries.
It's FREE to submit images, as many as you like, but there'll be a one-off non-refundable 'taking part' fee of £25 per selected artist (towards the 4 weekends of peak period exposure, admin/hanging time, a name-check on the website and press release etc). There'll be a below-average commission on sales of 30%.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Please email clear, good quality jpgs of the work(s)/items(s) you'd like to submit to firstname.lastname@example.org ideally with your name and a title included in the image filename for ease of reference and an indication of framed size eg pablo-picasso_untitled_20x20cm.jpg (we'll confirm sizes later for selected pieces).
- In the body of the email please list the works with description of media/print editions and sale prices (framed/unframed). Please advise if you're a VAT registered artist, otherwise we'll assume that you're not.
- Include any links to your website, Instagram/Twitter/Facebook accounts etc.
- Please submit as soon as possible before the cut off point on end of Thursday 2 NOVEMBER 2017
- Shortlisted artists will be notified as soon as possible of their successful pieces to allow as much time for any printing or framing etc. Some entries may be selected before the deadline. A Paypal link to pay the £25 fee will be included, assuming you're happy to continue.
- Work will need to be handed-in/delivered (labelled on the reverse, ready to hang and well framed if applicable) around the weekend of 11/12 NOVEMBER and be available for the duration of the exhibition until Monday 13 DECEMBER.
- All work should be well-protected for delivery and general gallery handling and signed/labelled all ready for a potential purchaser to take home at the end of the show.
- We'll make every effort to include all delivered work in the final hang (eg it may be much bigger than indicated or framed unsatisfactorily).
- Please arrange your own insurance for the full duration
- A preview evening will take place on Thursday 16 November from 7-9pm
- Sales made online by Paypal or in person by iZettle debit/credit card reader will incur a small fee of approx 3%, that will be deducted from your sale. No fees will be deducted from cash sales.
- a 30% commission will be deducted after fees (above).
- Unsold work should be collected by you or a representative during the week of 11-15 December 2017 or by arrangement (or make pre-paid postal arrangements for its safe return).
TRANSPARENCY OF FEES:
To give you an idea of how much you might earn on a sale: if a print sells for £100, there are estimated credit card/Paypal fees of £3.80 (=£96.20). After 30% sales commission on £96.20 you'll receive £67.34. A single £50 print will earn you about £33.53 after all sales fees.
Of course, the 'taking part' fee reduces that to £42.34 and £8.53 respectively, and any production/delivery costs reduce it still further unfortunately, so be sure to price your work accordingly (include VAT if you're a VAT registered artist. Not sure? Then you're probably not, and that's ok too).
WALTHAMSTOW VILLAGE WINDOW GALLERY is very selective about what exhibitions it puts on. Rather than being a space for hire we prefer to receive proposals from artists. Upfront and/or commission fees will apply. More information below:
If Google's to be believed our 24 hour exhibition space has almost always someone in the vicinity!
HOW BEST TO GET IN TOUCH
Please get in touch initially by email only with all the information required in the checklist below. If you're unable to provide any of the information please say why. Sell yourself to us!
- tell us about the artist(s) as a person, what inspires them to create the work they do
- description of the idea or artwork with approx sizes of artworks (and prices if applicable)
- a CV with education, previous exhibitions, art fairs, sales history or press coverage (if any)
- weblinks and social media accounts we may want to follow
- good quality, representative images (as jpgs) of artwork(s) themselves, and ideally in situ too
- your availability or any preference for time of year
Danny will be available to hang or assist on the hang; the gallery will supply caption/CV/biog cards; list your show on press websites, design*** and fund an advert in Waltham Forest's popular monthly arts and culture magazine The E List; provide an internet presence on the gallery website and on social media; manage preview evenings* and field artwork enquiries and sales; and any handle purchase payments as necessary.
We have only occasional meetings to discuss future proposals, and as we receive so many emails we can't always feed back or enter into correspondence but we do look forward to hearing from you, and who knows, offer you your very own exhibition!
Danny and the WVWG team
* usually on the first Thursday of the month. We tend to run the preview night bar by reasonable donation just to cover costs, but happy for the artist(s) to cover that cost in order to offer a free bar.
** after any credit/debit card handling fees approx 3-4%
*** other design and print production services are available for flyers, posters and postcards at competitive rates - using gallery brand guidelines. For consistency we can't accept self-designed marketing materials