CALL FOR ARTWORK: GALLERY IN BLOOM
With the RA's recent Painting the Modern Garden fresh in our minds and Dutch Flowers at the National Gallery; Walthamstow Village Window Gallery want to bring the garden into the gallery this summer with a mixed show: so here's an OPEN CALL for work depicting FLOWERS, GARDENS & GARDENERS.
We're looking for work in any medium, old or new, be it a drawing; painting; photograph; screenprint; etching; illustration; knitted/crocheted; collaged/montaged; carved; neon; botanical; impressionistic/expressionistic; surreal/satirical; ceramic or even Lego or any creative combination of the above. But think FLOWERS!
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: Sunday 12 JUNE 2016 (but sooner if you can)
Submit by email only as many or as few pieces as you like. There'll be an admin/hanging fee of £20 per selected artist regardless of how many pieces we accept.
* Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Gallery in Bloom attaching clear, good quality jpgs of the work(s)/items(s) you'd like to submit - with your name and a title included in the image filename and an indication of size (we'll confirm framed sizes later for selected pieces) eg alan-titchmarsh_daisy_10x20cm.jpg
* There's no minimum size this time but the gallery wall is only 150cm high!
* Your work will preferably be for sale but this is not essential. In the body of the email please list the works with description of media/print editions and an idea of prices if applicable (including a 30% gallery commission) or NFS if not for sale
* Shortlisted artists/work will be notified a week later around 19 JUNE and, if you're happy to continue please confirm, and work will need to be handed-in/delivered approx 2 weeks later around the 2-5 JULY and then be available for the duration of the two month exhibition until 29 AUGUST. All work should well-protected for delivery, and signed/labelled all ready for a potential purchaser to take home at the end of the show
* We'll make every effort to include all delivered work in the final hang, but in this unlikely event your hanging fee will be returned
* Unsold/NFS work should be collected by 1 SEPT 2016 by arrangement (or with sufficient postage for return)
Any queries, don't hesitate to email Danny at email@example.com . Please share this with other potentially interested artists/designers/makers too. We're really looking forward to receiving all your submissions!
Exhibition proposals welcomed
We are a gallery that curates its exhibitions rather than hiring out space. We have plans for the gallery several months in advance, but will always be glad for you to bring your work to our attention.
Are you an emerging or established artist/designer/creative with a great idea for an exhibition?
Is your idea or artwork impactful*, stimulating and engaging? A talking point?
Does it show a high level of skill, craft and is professionally presented?
*Small, delicate work may not be ideally suited to our space
Please get in touch by email only with all the information required in the checklist below. Sell yourself to us!
- full description(s) about the idea(s) or artwork(s)
- tell us about the artist(s)
- good quality, representative photographs (as jpgs) of artwork(s) themselves, and ideally in situ too
- approx sizes of artworks (and prices if applicable)
- details of any previous exhibitions, art fairs, sales history or press coverage
WHAT'S THE DEAL?
With the generosity of our sponsors we provide the exhibition space, hang the work/lead or assist on it, supply window graphics and labels; list your show on press websites, design and fund an advert in Waltham Forest's popular monthly arts and culture magazine The E List (other design and print production services are available for posters and postcards at competitive rates - using gallery brand guidelines where appropriate); provide an internet presence on the gallery website and on social media; manage preview evenings and field artwork enquiries and sales; and handle purchase payments.
There's no up-front fee to exhibit, the only catch is that we charge a commission on sales at a fair, agreed rate. But we're not sales driven, we're keen to provide an engaging show for our audience.
NB We have only occasional meetings to discuss future proposals, and as we receive so many emails we can't always feed back or enter into correspondence but we do look forward to hearing from you, and who knows, offer you your very own exhibition!
Danny and the WVWG team